* Preheat oven to 350°F.
* Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat with the canola oil. Season all sides of the roast well with salt and freshly ground black pepper then dredge it in flour. Brown the roast well, about 3-4 minutes per side.
* Once all sides are brown, add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, fresh bay leaves to the pot, and fill it with water so the liquid comes 1/3 the way up the roast. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and place in the oven for about 3 1/2-4 hours. If you don't have a tight-fitting lid for the pot, use tin foil instead and baste the roast every 30-40 minutes.
* Once the roast is about a half hour away from being done, start your gravy: Place a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Melt the butter and stir in 3 tablespoons of flour. Cook the butter-flour mixture about 2-3 minutes, until it is light brown. Then, whisk in the beef stock, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce, season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Let the gravy cook down, whisking occasionally, until desired consistency.
* Once the roast is done, remove it from the oven and place the meat on a cutting board, loosely covered with foil. Let the roast rest for about 15-20 minutes. While the meat is resting, strain the pan juices through a fine strainer, remove any extra fat, then stir the pan juices into the gravy.
* Once the meat has rested, slice it across the grain and pour gravy over each portion. Garnish with parsley and serve with Oven-Roasted Spicy Potatoes & Glazed Carrots alongside.